Friday, January 11, 2008

Christmas Mountains


The Christmas Mountains lie just outside Big Bend National Park. They are a dry desert range like many of the others in this part of the state.

They are visible from several locations within the park although they are easy to "overlook" with all the incredible sights and views in the park.

This image was taken early in the morning on my way to the Terlingua Ghost Town. I had been up early photographing star trails and the sky was clear. When the night faded it was cloudless. I had friends waiting for breakfast at the ghost town so I started driving. From the top of the Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive I saw this view and there were now even a few clouds. I made a few images and drove on. By the time I got to Terlingua, the sky was completely overcast. .

They are also at the center of a controversy in the state right now. The Christmas Mountains were under private ownership. A foundation gave the entire range to the state of Texas with the thought it would either be added to Big Bend Ranch State Park or Big Bend National Park. Apparently the state land commission decided to sell them. To say that stirred up a hornets nest is putting it mildly. There are alot of people upset over the state selling something that was donated for inclusion in a park.

With any luck this range can be added to the national park.

No comments: